NHS dental care and free prescriptions

One of the 12 statements in our document, Care and treatment: your rights and choices covering the rights and services that a person with epilepsy can expect.

Care and treatment: your rights and choices says: ‘You are entitled to NHS dental care and free prescriptions', for your anti-epileptic drugs and any other prescriptions you have.

This is referred to as ‘medical exemption’ from paying prescription charges.

NHS dental care

Anyone whose dentist thinks they need dental treatment that is clinically necessary can have this treatment done on the NHS. You will need to register with an NHS dentist, if you haven't already got one. If you have trouble finding a dentist that accepts NHS patients, you can call NHS England's customer service number 0300 311 2233 for help.

You may have to pay a charge towards your dental treatment and there are three bands of charges but, for some people, such as those on a low income, NHS dental treament is free.

Find out more about NHS dental treatment.

Medical exemption

To apply for a medical exemption certificate you need to complete an FP92A form from your GP surgery. This needs to be signed by your GP or hospital doctor. The certificate lasts for five years, and then you need to renew it.

The certificate means that all medications that you get on prescription will be free of charge, whatever they are for (not just your anti-epileptic drugs). A medical exemption form is not needed in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, as all prescriptions are free in these countries.

Find out more about medical exemption.

Information produced: January 2019

Our care and treatment: your rights and choices leaflet

Get a copy of Care and treatment: your rights and choices


Download Care and treatment: your rights and choices.

Alternatively, our quick guide Care and treatment: your rights and choices summarises the key points.