You are here:

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Published on


Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is a UK benefit for people of working age, who cannot work or who have 'limited capability to work' due to illness or disability, and who are not entitled to Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or getting Statutory Sick Pay, or Statutory Maternity Pay.

Who can claim ESA?

You may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you are between 16 years old and under state pension age, and your epilepsy or other medical condition or disability affects your ability to work. You can apply for ESA if you work but do not get Statutory Sick Pay, or Statutory Maternity Pay,  if you are self-employed or unemployed, or a student on Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment. First, check if you are eligible for Universal Credit.

Types of ESA

ESA aims to give you financial support if you're unable to work, and personalised help so that you can work if you're able to. There are three types of ESA, and the type you get depends on your circumstances:

  • 'new style' ESA (you may be able to get Universal Credit at the same time, or instead of new style ESA); and
  • contribution-based ESA for people who have paid enough national insurance contributions; and
  • income-based ESA for people who have a low income and low savings.

People who receive ESA will be placed either in the 'work-related activity' group (where you must go to regular interviews with an adviser) or in the 'support group' (where you do not have to go to interviews). If you are in the work-related activity group, and get 'new style' or contribution-based ESA, payments will last for 365 days.

Depending on where you live, you could get Universal Credit at the same time or instead of 'new style' ESA. 

See more about Universal Credit.

Applying for ESA

The quickest way to apply for ESA is by calling the Jobcentre Plus claim line:

  • telephone: 0800 055 6688 or Welsh language telephone: 0800 012 1888; or
  • textphone: 0800 023 4888.

You can get a copy of the claim form (ESA1) from your local Jobcentre Plus, or download a copy at or, complete it online and take the printed copy to your local Jobcentre Plus.

You will be asked for information such as your national insurance number, your doctor’s name and address, and your bank account details. You also need to send in a medical certificate (also called a ‘doctor’s note’ or ‘fit note’). Visit for more information.

The assessment phase

Once you have completed your form you will enter the ‘assessment phase’ while a decision is being made about your claim. This is for 13 weeks (or more if there are delays), and during this time you will receive a ‘basic allowance’, or 'assessment rate',  which is currently:

  • up to £57.90 a week if you’re aged under 25; or
  • up to £73.10 a week if you’re aged 25 or over.

Work capability assessment

If you claim ESA you must have a ‘work capability assessment’ to see to what extent your disability affects your ability to work. You will then be placed in one of 2 groups, if you are entitled to ESA:

  • work-related activity group, where you'll  have regular interviews with an adviser; or

support group, where you do not have interviews. (You're usually in this group if your illness or disability severely limits what you can do).

Capability for work questionnaire

As part of the ‘work capability assessment’, most people will be asked to complete a second form called the ‘ Capability for work questionnaire’ (ESA50). This form is long and asks a lot of questions about how your condition affects your ability to do everyday tasks. To give the assessors a full picture, you need to answer each question fully (do not just tick the Yes/No boxes), giving clear and specific details about your ability to do each task, how often you are unable to do a task (if this varies) and why, and any help that you need to do tasks.You need to return your completed form within four weeks.

See our guide completing benefit forms for more information or contact the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 169 0154.

Face-to-face medical assessment

In some cases, a decision about ESA is made on the basis of the information received on the forms. However, most people will also be asked to attend a face-to-face medical assessment with a healthcare professional working for the Health Assessment Advisory Service on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). You will be told when and where to attend the medical assessment, and you can claim back your travel expenses for getting there. You can take someone with you, such as a friend, family member, social worker or other professional who is involved in your care. It is important that you attend the medical, otherwise you may lose your claim for ESA.

At the medical, the healthcare professional will compare what you wrote on your ESA50 questionnaire with what you can do, and what you tell them, on the day. They will ask you questions about your physical and mental abilities and your understanding of your abilities. They may also give you a physical examination.

What happens next

The healthcare professional will send their report to a DWP decision-maker, who will then decide whether you can claim ESA and whether you will be in the ‘work-related activity group’ or the ‘support group’. If you are placed in the ‘work-related activity group’, you may then be asked to have a ‘work-focused interview’ with a Jobcentre Plus personal adviser, to produce an action plan for what you can do to get a job. If you do not attend the work-focused interviews or other work-related activities, your ESA basic allowance may be cut.

What if my claim is unsuccessful?

If you are not awarded ESA, the DWP will contact you to tell you this. If you want the DWP to look at this again (particularly if your situation has changed) you can challenge their decision, by asking for a ‘mandatory reconsideration’ within one month of the date of the decision.

The DWP will look again at your situation and send you a second decision, called a ‘mandatory reconsideration notice’. This could say that the first decision still stands, or that you have been placed into a different group and are to receive a different level of ESA benefit. The notice will say whether you can appeal against this second decision.

If you want to appeal, you need to do this within one month of the date on the mandatory reconsideration decision letter that you have received. If you intend to appeal, it is recommended that you ask for expert advice from an organisation offering independent benefits advice, such as Citizens Advice or Scope.

See our guide benefit decisions and appeals for more information.

For more information about ESA, visit or 

Information produced: June 2019

Universal credit

Universal Credit is now available to all new claimants (unless they get, or are entitled to get, Severe Disability Premium). It is a benefit for working-age people (usually 16 to 64 years) who are on a low income, or who are looking for work and will replace some existing benefits, listed below.

ESO making a claim factsheet

Taken from our 'ESA making a claim' factsheet