Epilepsy awareness, seizure management and emergency medication
6-hour online course (via Zoom) giving delegates an understanding of epilepsy and how to administer emergency medication.
This course begins with the ‘epilepsy awareness and seizure management' session and continues with the theoretical and practical administration of emergency medications (buccal midazolam and/or rectal diazepam). It is designed to enable a greater understanding of risk assessment and associated health and safety issues.
The trainer demonstrates the practical procedures and delegates will have an opportunity to practice these skills in a simulated environment.
About the course
Session 1 - Epilepsy awareness and seizure management includes:
- an introduction to epilepsy
- causes and diagnosis
- types of seizures (including management and first aid)
- status epilepticus
- treatments – medication and side effects
- risk management and support needs
Session 2 - Emergency medication includes:
- an introduction to emergency medications for epilepsy
- when it should be used
- how it is administered
- individual care plans
- benefits of use
- side effects
- practical demonstration
- risk assessments
- storage and disposal
- duty of care
Course dates - book your place
- 28/07/21 - Epilepsy awareness, seizure management and emergency medication - (6 hours)
- 12/08/21 - Epilepsy awareness and seizure management – (3 hours)
- 23/09/21 - Epilepsy awareness, seizure management and emergency medication – (6 hours)
- 21/10/21 - Epilepsy awareness and seizure management – (3 hours)
- 25/11/21 - Epilepsy awareness, seizure management and emergency medication – (6 hours)
- 16/12/21 - Epilepsy awareness and seizure management – (3 hours)
All delegates receive a certificate of attendance. We recommend that this training takes place every two years.
Please refer to the terms and conditions of booking.
Terms and conditions for Epilepsy Society training courses. These terms and conditions apply to those who purchase Epilepsy Society's training services.
Our courses are available to a wide range of people looking to develop their understanding of epilepsy for professional or personal reasons. Delegates include carers, school escorts, post-graduate students as well as commercial organisations, GP surgeries and drug company representatives.