You are here:

Health and social care assessment

Published on


Health and social care assessment

Assessment of your safety needs

You can ask your local social services for a health and social care assessment sometimes called a 'needs assessment', which looks at your safety at home. Assessments are often carried out by an occupational therapist (OT). They will visit you at home to see what help, support or safety equipment you might need because of your epilepsy. The assessment can help to identify practical ideas for reducing risk to make situations safer. Your GP or specialist may be able to provide information about how your epilepsy could affect your safety at home. You can apply directly to your local council or your GP can refer you.

Visit GOV.UK for contact details for your local council.


If your seizures are controlled by treatment, your safety may not be affected. But if you continue to have seizures, safety may be an issue. Some safety issues may not be relevant to you or you may have your own ideas about what would make situations safer for you. Here are some suggestions to help you think about your safety at home.


We send monthly e-newsletters to keep you informed with tips for managing epilepsy, the latest news, inspirational stories, fundraising opportunities and further information from Epilepsy Society.

Read our privacy policy

It is always your choice as to whether you want to receive information from us. You may opt-out of our marketing communications by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the end of our marketing emails or through our unsubscribe number 01494 601 300.